The Book of Remembrance
by James Monroe Laster
July 30, 1914
The following is a report, "History of the Congregation of Harmony Presbyterian Church," written by J.M. Laster of Harmony, Arkansas. July 30, 1914.
A small number of the charter members of this congregation came from Wilson County, Tennessee in the year 1831, while the majority came in 1836. Some of them brought with them letters of dismissal from congregations in that state.
They first joined the church at Clarksville, but in 1844 those members living on Horsehead Creek asked for and received permission, to organize a congregation at this place. The Harmony congregation was organized by the Reverend Jesse M. Blair, with Abraham Laster and Robert Hardgraves as Ruling Elders and the following as Charter members. (The following names have been alphabetized for easy identification but were not in the original document.)
Elizabeth J. Bartlett
Hugh K. Baskin
James C. Baskin
Mary B. Hardgraves
Hester A. Laster
Nancy J. Laster
Reece B. Wood
Bartlett Zachary, Sr.
Burrell H. Zachary
By the year 1858 the membership was near the 100 mark, and the eldership consisted of the following.
Abraham Laster, J. H. Laster
Robert Hardgraves, Lemuel Pryor
M.A. Kendall, T. G. Temple and William Hyden
The ministers serving this congregation (before the year 1861) were: The Reverends
Jesse Blair, Anderson Cox, Lewis Johnson, Rev. Malloy, Rev Brigham, Rev. Vineyard, Frank Barnard and Rev. Briggant